Chanting mantra (a Sanskrit phrase that encapsulates a higher idea within the essence of its sound) is a tradition that spans over thousands of years. If you’ve been to a yoga class, it’s likely that you’ve chanted Om to begin or end a class. You are already practicing mantra! In this workshop, you will dive deeper into the elements of mantra and learn the relationship between mantra and asana (yoga postures). This workshop will work to answer the following questions:
- What is mantra? What is the history of Sanskrit and mantra?
- What are the benefits of chanting?
- What are the practical applications of chanting mantra?
- What are some specific chants I can use to start my mantra practice?
- How does mantra relate to yoga?
Light snacks and beverages will be provided in addition to a mantra booklet that contains the proper Sanskrit, a transliterated version (spoken version), and the English translation of four studied chants. Please wear clothes you feel comfortable moving in and bring a yoga mat. Workshop cost is $25.